Two Squamish residents will be out of a home for Christmas after a fire destroyed their Valleycliffe house.
On the morning of Tuesday (Dec. 3), Squamish Fire Rescue responded to a furnace fire at a house at 2029 Maple Dr., SFRS Chief Russ Inouye said. When crews arrived in Valleycliffe just after 7 a.m., the fire had spread into the structure, he said.
“By the time the crews arrived the fire had gotten well underway,” he said.
The homeowner met firefighters outside and the house's other occupant was away at the time, he noted. Approximately 30 firefighters were on scene, including five fire apparatus and two support vehicles.
Smoke poured out from the house as crews headed in, Inouye noted. A portion of the first floor had fallen through into the basement. One firefighter was treated for minor injuries after falling while battling the blaze.
“[The homeowner] probably won't be living in there for up to a year,” Inouye said of the fire, smoke and water damage.
This year's warm weather means many people haven't used their furnaces for a long time, he noted. The fire department recommends homeowners get the equipment check before firing them up. The same goes for fireplaces, Inouye said.
“We've been to a couple of chimney fires this year,” he said.
For more information on preventing chimney fires visit Fire Rescue at www.squamish.ca.