BC Ferries has announced trips to Vancouver Island will be cancelled in the morning.
The announcement precedes the arrival of heavy storm conditions on the eastern side of the island on Monday, Oct. 25.
"The safety of our passengers and crew is of primary importance to us. We don’t take the decision to cancel sailings lightly, as we know customers rely on us to get to their destinations," states BC Ferries. "We will resume service as soon as it is safe to do so."
While ferries are still making the trip today, Sunday, Oct. 24, the forecasted storm is expected to arrive overnight and make conditions unsafe first thing in the morning.
"Strong winds that may cause damage are expected on Monday. Easterly winds through Juan de Fuca strait will strengthen overnight Sunday to reach 70 km/h as an intense low pressure centre approaches Vancouver Island," states BC Ferries. "Strong southeasterly winds reaching 70 km/h will develop over exposed coastal sections near the Strait of Georgia and are expected to ease late Monday afternoon as the low pressure system moves onto Vancouver Island and weakens."
The scheduled crossings already cancelled are as follows:
Vancouver (Tsawwassen) - Victoria (Swartz Bay)
- 7:00 am departing Swartz Bay
- 7:00 am departing Tsawwassen
- 9:00 am departing Swartz Bay
- 9:00 am departing Tsawwassen
Vancouver (Tsawwassen) - Nanaimo (Duke Point)
- 5:15 am departing Tsawwassen
- 5:15 am departing Duke Point
- 7:45 am departing Tsawwassen
- 7:45 am departing Duke Point
Vancouver (Horseshoe Bay) - Nanaimo (Departure Bay)
- 6:15 am departing Horseshoe Bay
- 6:15 am departing Departure Bay
- 8:25 am departing Horseshoe Bay
- 8:25 am departing Departure Bay
- 10:40 am departing Horseshoe Bay
- 10:40 am departing Departure Bay
- 1:00 pm departing Horseshoe Bay
- 1:00 pm departing Departure Bay
Comox (Little River) - Powell River (Westview)
- 6:15 am departing Little River
- 8:05 am departing Westview
- 9:55 am departing Little River
- 11:50 am departing Westview
Reservations will be refunded states BC Ferries.
More cancellations are possible, depending on the weather.