Skip to content

B.C. teen recovering after impaired driver slams into her vehicle, flees scene

Police arrested a 34-year-old man who fled the scene and say he failed two breath tests.

A Nanaimo family is left shaken and frustrated after their teenage daughter's vehicle was struck by an impaired driver on a Nanaimo highway Monday night.  

Keira Parsons says the entire ordeal has been very hard and disappointing for her family. 

“We didn’t do anything wrong and now we are screwed,” says Parsons. 

Her 18-year-old daughter Alexis was driving with her boyfriend to the gym when they noticed the driver of a pickup truck quickly approaching them. 

“I looked in my rearview mirror and I saw this truck coming really, really fast and I assumed he would stay in the other lane because that’s what most people would do but then he swerved over and smacked us really hard,” recalls Alexis.

She described the crash as “terrifying” and “in slow motion”.

“I told her it’s going to be OK as we were spinning,” says Benjamin Rahim, her boyfriend and vehicle passenger. 

Rahim watched as the driver of the pickup left the scene. 

Nanaimo RCMP arrested a 34-year-old man for impaired driving Monday after the hit-and-run crash on the Nanaimo Parkway.

Police said the crash happened about 7:15 p.m. just north of the Mostar Road intersection when a Toyota Corolla was hit from behind by a Ford Ranger.

From several witness accounts, it appears the driver of the Ranger was trying to cut in behind the Corolla but instead hit its rear end, causing it to spin out of control.

Alexis’ Corolla was destroyed and had to be towed from the scene.

The Ranger drove away, but a police investigation led them to a Lantzville home where the suspect and his vehicle were located.

Const. Gary O’Brien says the driver failed two breath tests and was arrested for impaired driving, and given a 90-day driving prohibition. 

He also received violation tickets for failing to remain at the scene of a motor-vehicle incident and driving without consideration, and had his vehicle seized for 30 days.

Alexis needed 25 stitches on her face, she fractured her teeth and has bruising on her leg. 

“My teeth went completely through my chin,” she tells Glacier Media.

The 18-year-old can’t work and also can’t go to school with her injuries and without a vehicle. 

“I am supposed to be at my practicum. I am going to school for a dental assistant so I am missing that and I also work at Cabela's on the weekends,” says Alexis. 

Parsons says they’re now left with a totalled vehicle, insurance and dental bills and feel left in the dark. 

“I can’t afford to hire a lawyer and no legal aid will touch us,” she says.

A GoFundMe campaign has been created to help Alexis purchase a new vehicle and they’re looking to donate a portion of the money raised to Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

With files from the Times Colonist