An RCMP officer patrolling Highway 99 was left bruised but otherwise uninjured after stopping an impaired and irate 18-year-old woman Saturday (May 27) at approximately 3 a.m.
The officer observed the Britannia Beach resident driving her 1993 Ford Ranger in an erratic manner and stopped her on Industrial Way near Progress Way. When the woman failed a roadside alcohol screening test, she became combative and kicked the officer several times in the thigh and groin area.
The woman was restrained, held in jail overnight and released in the morning charged with impaired driving and assaulting a police officer. She is scheduled to appear in court on July 5.
Prepared family averts disaster
A couple with two young children living on Plateau Drive averted tragedy at 2 a.m. Wednesday (May 24) when smoke alarms throughout the house warned them of a fire in a lower level family room.
The family kept a portable extinguisher in the house, which the father used to keep the fire contained until fire crews arrived.
"It's really important when we have someone that does something right like that," said firefighter Bob Fulton. "That very easily could have been much worse."
More than 20 firefighters along with two engines and a ladder truck arrived quickly to extinguish the fire.
Vehicle accident injures two children
Two children were sent to hospital after two vehicles collided when one vehicle ran a red light at 10 p.m. Sunday (May 26). A 2005 Dodge sedan running through red light while travelling westbound on Mamquam Road struck a 2004 Chevy station wagon at Highway 99, causing a 10 and 11-year old to be transported to hospital by ambulance. RCMP issued a 35-year old woman from New Westminster a violation ticket for failing to stop at the red light.
White Spot patrons smoked out
Squamish Fire Rescue responded to a call to the White Spot restaurant Saturday (May 27) when the restaurant filled with smoke, forcing patrons and staff to evacuate.
Firefighters discovered the source of the smoke to be an electrical short in a neon sign. Sparks from the short created flames, which spread into the restaurant's walls. Firefighters broke through the wall to extinguish the fire.