COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Roberto Alomar has resigned from the board of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in the wake of an investigation into an alleged sexual misconduct involving the former Toronto Blue Jays second baseman.
The Hall of Fame said in a statement Monday that the board accepted Alomar's letter of resignation from the board. Alomar submitted the letter Saturday, according to the release.
Alomar, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011, will still have his plaque on display there.
The Blue Jays severed ties with Alomar and Major League Baseball fired him as a special consultant as a result of the findings of the investigation.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced Friday that Alomar had been terminated from his consultant position and placed on the league's ineligible list following the results of the independent investigation.
Manfred said a baseball industry employee reported an incident earlier this year involving Alomar from 2014.
Soon after MLB made its decision public, the Blue Jays announced they were cutting ties with Alomar, who was an integral part of Toronto's back-to-back World Series titles in 1992 and '93.
The Blue Jays said Alomar's name will be removed from the Level of Excellence at Rogers Centre and a banner at Rogers Centre commemorating his retired No. 12 and Hall of Fame induction will be taken down.
He has also been terminated as special assistant to the team.
The allegation has not been tested in court, and a lawyer for the woman who reported the incident said her client has no plans to sue Alomar or take additional action.
Alomar said he was "disappointed, surprised and upset" with MLB's decision.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 3, 2021.
The Canadian Press