If you know something, it is time to say something.
Sept. 14 marks the third anniversary of the 2020 Sea to Sky Gondola sabotage.
At about 4 a.m. that day, the gondola staff and Squamish RCMP were alerted that the main cable of the gondola had been deliberately cut.
This was the second time the cable had been cut under the cover of darkness, closing the gondola for months for repairs.
At approximately 4:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019, it was discovered for the first time that someone had climbed a tower and cut the steel cable.
To date, no one has been arrested or charged with either crime.
The popular attraction was not open during either incident and no one was hurt in either incident. However, a security guard narrowly missed being hit when the cable and gondola cabins came down on Sept. 14.
Anyone with any information is urged to call the BC RCMP Major Crime Tip Line 1 (877) 543-4822.
"We have been actively working on the investigation, assessing every tip and pursuing every lead that comes across our desk," Sgt. Harb Sangha, of the RCMP Special Projects Unit of E-Division Major Crime Section told The Squamish Chief by email on Sept. 14, 2023.
Last month on the fourth anniversary of the first sabotage, the general manager of the gondola, Kirby Brown, said the staff there continued to actively liaise with RCMP.
"We continue to be very engaged with the ongoing investigations by the RCMP’s Major Crimes Division and are looking forward to their resolution of these files," Brown said last month.
"That being said, the whole gondola team is working hard on the projects we love. Seeing our friends, families, locals and visitors enjoy this special place we’re so privileged to call home is why we’re here and why we’ll always be here."
The gondola no longer leaves its cars on the cable overnight and has significantly enhanced its security system, Brown said previously.