Skip to content

Dryer catches fire at hotel


Briefs from Squamish Fire Rescue and the RCMP:

Members of Squamish Fire Rescue attended the Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Company Monday (July 4) after the sprinkler system at the facility put out a potentially dangerous fire.

Firefighter Bob Fulton said the call came in at 9:30 a.m.

He said rags inside the dryer were soaked with a cleaning product. The firefighters believe the combination of the heat and the chemicals caused the fire.

Fulton said a single sprinkler in the dryer room controlled the fire. When firefighters arrived at the scene they put the fire completely out.

According to Fulton, the dryer was damaged and the room suffered minor water damage.

The smoke from the fire was contained to the dryer room. A fan was used to clear the room of smoke.

Restaurant broken into

The RCMP responded to the Parkside Restaurant at 11:41 p.m. on Saturday (July 2) responding to a break and enter in progress.

Cpl. Dave Ritchie said when members of the RCMP arrived at the restaurant a man was spotted running from the building.

The 37-year-old man was chased and caught.

The man was arrested and then released without being charged.

Ritchie said the matter is still under investigation.

Stolen motorhome recoveredA citizen reported something he felt was suspicious to police at 10:54 p.m. on Saturday (July 2). The alert citizen saw a man driving a motor home. He felt the man behind the wheel of the recreational vehicle was not the owner and that the motor home might be stolen.

Police responded and Cpl. Ritchie said the full size 1994 vehicle was found. It had indeed been reported stolen earlier.

According to Ritchie, the 37-year-old man behind the wheel successfully fled from police. An arrest warrant was issued after police discovered a number of stolen items inside the stolen motor home.

Firearms recovered in Nanaimo

Nanaimo police recovered two guns belonging to a resident of the Upper Squamish this week.

The Squamish resident went to hospital for two weeks and when he returned home he discovered his firearms were missing.

Police in Nanaimo were called to a home when a man in that city was arrested on a completely different matter.

Ritchie said police arrested the man after he threatened to harm people. After he was arrested, the house he was in was searched and the two stolen firearms were discovered.

push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks