Smoker believed to be cause of grass fire in Squamish

Fire rescue crews put out the flames in Garibaldi Estates

Authorities believe a smoker caused a grass fire this morning.

Squamish Fire Rescue rushed to the scene, which was on the border of a residential area in the Garibaldi Estates to put out the flames.

article continues below

“All indications point to discarded smoking materials as the cause of the fire,” the District posted on Facebook. “Had this occurred during a typical windy afternoon, the fire would have spread quickly, resulting in a much more dangerous situation for our community.”

Fines for improperly disposing of smoking materials can reach $500, plus expenses, should it cause a fire.

The Squamish area is currently at an extreme fire risk.

Fire rescue crews have also been called out recently to abandoned campfires, which are currently banned due to high danger levels.

The District says the fine for lighting a campfire during the ban is $1,150 per person at the fire, even if it is a first-time offense.

Squamish RCMP and local Natural Resource Officers have issued over $14,000 in fines under the BC Wildfire Act so far during the ban.


Read Related Topics

@ Copyright Squamish Chief


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

The Squamish Chief welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus