Two Squamish slopitch players have tested positive for COVID-19, the Squamish SloPitch Association confirmed on Aug. 31.
Jamie Anthony, the president of the association, said people who were in contact with those players have been tested, and the league is waiting on those results.
In the meantime, the association is playing it safe.
“We have suspended the season for the next two weeks as a precautionary measure in hopes to contain any possible spread within our league,” wrote Anthony in an email to The Chief.
However, Squamish’s league was not the only one affected.
Whistler Slo-Pitch Association announced earlier this week it was suspending all league games at least a week after a small cluster of COVID-19 cases involving players in Whistler and Squamish was identified.
In an email sent to players Sunday night, the association said one individual from the league’s Division 1 played Thursday, Aug. 27 at Meadow Park before showing symptoms and testing positive for the virus. Anyone that was potentially exposed has been contacted.
The league said Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is aware of the cases, and that the Resort Municipality of Whistler and Slo-Pitch National were notified Monday.
League convenor Alison Jenkins said that health authorities advised league officials that any players who were potentially exposed to the virus do not need to self-isolate, but should monitor for symptoms over the next 14 days.
[Editor's Note: Brandon Barett is a Whistler Slo-Pitch player.]