It's officially fireplace season. Temperatures are starting to drop and it's time to bundle up to stay cozy and warm. Joe's Fireplace Products, experts in heating for 25 years, want to help keep that warm flame glowing in your home.
Is your gas or wood fireplace running efficiently and in top operating condition? If your wood-burning fireplace is not producing heat as it should, you can save money on heating costs by installing an energy-efficient wood or gas fireplace.
Make sure the fireplace is cleaned annually. Performing annual check-ups will keep the fireplace in top shape and operating safely for years to come.
Gas fireplace maintenance guide
- Make sure your yearly inspection is done by a certified gas contractor.
- Wipe down and inspect the unit visually. If there is any paint bubbling; it may be a sign that the unit is not operating properly.
- Clean the glass often.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe down the unit.
- Keep flammable and combustible materials at least three feet away from the fireplace.
Wood fireplace maintenance guide
- Have a certified chimney sweep clean the flue every year to keep it free of blockages or creosote build-ups that could cause chimney fires.
- If you have a catalytic combustor, remove and visually inspect it for cracks and blockages.
- Always dispose of embers and ash in a metal pail, even if the fire has been out for hours.
- When cool, clean both sides of the glass weekly to help remove creosote build-up.
- Inspect the damper to make sure it is opening and closing fully.
- Remove and clean air tubes to make sure they are free from damage or blockages.
Always refer to the user manual for instructions for your specific model.
Remember to make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly inside and outside of bedrooms and other key areas of the house.
Call the fireplace experts at Joe's Fireplace Products today at 604-892-9800 or stop by the shop located at 38136 Second Ave., Squamish or visit the website joesfireplaceproducts.com
Local and family-owned and operated since 1995, Joe’s Fireplace Products is proud to carry Regency, Valor and Blaze King fireplaces. Visit the website or call 604-892-9800 to arrange a free in-home consultation.